Attics can be great hiding places for many pests, including squirrels, bats, rats, and mice. In addition to being a nuisance, these little critters can cause extensive damage to your home’s vents, chimneys, roof timbers, wires, and insulation. When looking for rodent removal in Atlanta, our experienced pest control company will inspect your attic and determine the best way to get rid of your unwelcome guests. Read on to learn some of our best tips for getting rid of pests in your attic.
As cute as they may seem, squirrels can wreak havoc on your attic. Squirrels can chew through wood and electrical wires, which can often result in a fire hazard. Removal of these creatures is best achieved through capturing and relocating them, then closing off all entry points. We recommend the following tips to get rid of squirrels:
- Traps: Use repeater live cage traps or one-way exclusion door traps with peanuts or peanut butter inside as bait.
- Repellants: Ultrasonic repellants, radio sounds, flashing lights, or commercial repellants can be used to convince the squirrels that your attic is no longer the ideal place to live.
- Professional Pest Removal: Consulting a professional is hands down the best option for squirrel removal.
If bats have taken refuge in your attic, you’ll know very quickly by the pungent odor of their droppings. Bats create a serious health problem that must be dealt with immediately. Bat removal depends on your location. In areas that experience a cold season, the bats will migrate as the temperatures drop, allowing you to seal up all entry points. However, in most cases, bat removal is best left up to the experts as it is illegal to poison them and very dangerous to trap them yourself.
Mice would rather associate with humans than live out in the wild. Because mice breed so quickly, one mouse can turn into a full-blown infestation in a short amount of time. The following are some of the best ways to get rid of mice:
- Traps: There are several different types of mice traps, including glue traps, zap traps, live traps, snap traps, and poison traps.
- Professional Pest Removal: The only way to guarantee effective mice removal is by consulting a professional pest removal company.
Rats are the most common type of pest found in attics and also the most difficult to remove. The most effective rat removal methods include the following:
- Traps: The best rat traps are wooden snap traps. Leave them in an area of rat activity for one week, then bait and set them.
- Professional Pest Removal: Because it can be difficult to lure rats to traps and properly seal all entry points, consulting a professional pest removal company is the best way to ensure complete extermination.